I’ve been on a serious Coheed and Cambria kick lately. I LOVED them in high school, took a rap break, but now I’m back with a vengeance.
Oh Coheed, how I have missed you.
Official website: https://www.coheedandcambria.com/us/home
Myspace for music (I know who uses Myspace, but they have good music!): http://www.myspace.com/coheedandcambria
“Here We Are Juggernaut” is one of my faves right now. (Confession: I accidentally say “Autobot” instead of “Juggernaut” on occasion. Too much Transformers in my life)
“I’ve been gone for too long. True or false? Right or wrong?” -Lil Wayne
Based on the Carter IV: False. Wrong.
I don’t know if many of you know this about me, but I used to be a die-hard Lil Wayne fan. I still listen fondly to 13-year old Weezy as a Hot Boy, Weezy who stunts like his daddy, Weezy detailing exploits involving a certain lollipop, Weezy getting A Milli. Over the past year though, Weezy and I have gone our separate ways.
I discovered other genres of music, and other rappers. Weezy discovered making awful songs.
“Drop the World” ft. Eminem is one of the worst songs I’ve ever heard. “6’7″” has one of the most annoying choruses of all time. (Yes, Kanye. OF ALL TIME.)
Considering how deeply devoted I was to Weezy, admitting these things was hard. I just was not liking anything that Weezy was putting out. Give me back the Hot Boys. Give me back the Carter, Carter II, even the Carter III. Play those mixtapes again for me.
But, I was told by a dear friend of mine to give the Carter IV a shot. Here is the rundown of the songs I was able to make myself listen to on the album.
- Intro – Slow flow, slow beat. I felt like I was being dragged through this track. But I continued to listen
- Blunt Blowing – The beat for this song is sick. Too bad Weezy can’t keep up. I’d love to hear T.I. on this beat.
- 6’7″ – Don’t make me get into it about this song. You already know how I feel.
- Nightmare – Soooooo sloooooow
- She Will – Drake redeems this song. I don’t even really like Drake these days. His old stuff was awesome (i.e. Still Fly, Ignorant Shit (ft. Lil Wayne–and he sounds awesome))
That’s all I was able to get through. Based on the Carter IV, all I can say is stunt like your daddy, Weezy. Stunt like you used to.